Volume 3, Issue 3
E. A. Ulyanova — Ural Federal University (Yekaterinburg, Russian Federation), Analytical centre ‘Expert’ (Yekaterinburg, Russian Federation)
The article discusses the recent renewal of the ‘Strategy for Socio-Economic Development of Sverdlovsk Region until 2030’ and its ‘Action Plan’. Both of these documents were brought into compliance with the Federal Law № 172-ФЗ ‘On Strategic Planning in the Russian Federation’. In the region’s strategic planning it was the first time that the communicative approach was applied. Drafting the strategic documents necessitated setting priorities in the long-term development of the region.
The article describes the methodology for designing the region’s strategic documentation and the drafting process and provides schemes of strategic planning realized in Sverdlovsk region. The article outlines the key provisions of the ‘Strategy of Socio-Economic Development of Sverdlovsk Region for the Period Between 2016 and 2030’ and the ‘Action Plan for Implementation of the Strategy’. Drawing from the experience of Sverdlovsk region, recommendations are given on optimization of strategic planning on regional and municipal levels.
Keywords: strategic planning, strategy, action plan, long-term forecast, socio-economic development, regional policy, regional development
- Vasilevska, L., Vasic, M. (2009). Strategic Planning as a Regional Development Policy Mechanism: European Context. SPATIUM International review (21).
- Akhmedjonov, A., Ilyina, I.N., Nazarov,Z., Leonard, C.S., Plisetsky, E.E., Vakulenko, E.S. (2013). Russia’s Regions: Governance and Well-Being, 2000-2008.
- Roberts, P. (1996). Regional Planning Guidance in England and Wales – Back to the Future? The Town Planning Review (Vol. 67). P 97-109.
- Dimitriou, H., Thompson, R. (2008). Strategic Planning for Regional Development in the UK: a Review of Principles and Practices. 384 p.
- Egorov E.G., Egorova I.E. (2013). Strategic Planning for Regional Development: International Experience and Objective Setting in the Russian Federation. Strategy of Regional Development (5). P. 2-9.
- Strategic Planning and Development of Regions: How to Ensure Harmony. (2014).
- Ilyina, I.N., Plisetsky, E.E., Kopytchenko, G.S., Rybina, E.G., Klimova, V.S. (2015). The Future of Russian Regions: an Analytical Review of Strategic Planning Documents for the Subjects of the Russian Federation. Moscow: HSE, 48.
- Bochkareva T.V. (2016). Goal-Setting as the Basic Framework for Development and Implementation of Strategies. Proceedings of the Fourteenth Russian Forum of Strategic Planning Leaders. Petersburg, 19-20 October 2015/ Ed. by B.S.Zhikharevich. — St.Petersburg: International Centre for Social and Economic Research ‘Leontiev Centre’. P.9-12.
- Limonov, L.E. (Eds.). (2016). Regional Economy and Spatial Development. Moscow: Uright, 460.
- Allmendinger, P., Tewdwr-Jones, M. (2002). Planning Futures: New Direction in Planning Theory. 258 p.
- Healey, P. (1997). Collaborative Planning. Shaping Places in Fragmented Societies. London: MacMillan. 338 p.
- Regional Strategic Planning: Practical Guide. (2003). St.Petersburg: International Centre for Social and Economic Research ‘Leontiev Centre’. 96 p. — (Regional Strategic Planning; Issue 3).
- Goghberg, L.M. (Eds.). The Rating of Innovative Development of the Subjects of the Russian Federation (4 Vol.). Moscow: Higher School of Economics, 248.
- Kovalenko, A., Ulianova, E. (2016). 350 Steps to the Horizon. Expert-Ural, 37.
- Tolmachev, D. E., Ulyanova, E. A., Pliner, L. M. (2015). Development of Small and Medium-Sized Regional Enterprises: Creation of Priority Areas (the Case of Sverdlovsk Region). R-Economy, 1.