Volume 3, Issue 2
O. B. Kazakova — Bashkir State University (Ufa, Russian Federation)
N. A. Kuzminykh — Bashkir State University (Ufa, Russian Federation)
In our research we specially adapted the multiplier accelerator approach for analysis of investment processes on the municipal level. We analyzed the databases of municipalities of the Bashkortostan Republic and found a one-year lag and ratchet effects in the development of investment processes, which manifested themselves through steady rates of growth in the volumes of shipped goods and services in these areas while the amount of investment was declining. Excessively high values of the investment accelerator in certain municipalities were explained, on the one hand, by the insignificant changes in the economic performance of these municipalities and, on the other hand, by the inflow of capital, which was not related to the incentive function of return from the previous investment. The main causes of the disincentive function include the low investment attractiveness of the territories; the poorly developed environment for investment stimulation; the inefficiency of the investment itself; and its short-term character.
Our approach combines the multiplier accelerator theory with the concept of efficient management of investment in socio-economic systems of various levels and thus it has enabled us to develop a matrix for diagnostics of investment processes by calculating investment efficiency (with the help of the investment multiplier) and the focus of the investment process (with the help of the investment accelerator). Upon these results we have mapped municipalities according to their levels of investment development and proposed a differentiated approach to managerial decision-making.
These findings can be used to study investment attractiveness on the municipal level and to develop guidelines for assessment of investment attractiveness and for managerial decision-making to enhance investment efficiency.
Keywords: investment processes, multiplier accelerator, investment attractiveness, municipalities, economic growth
- Bailly, Jean-Luc (2008). Consumption, investment and the investment multiplier. Keynesian multiplier. Routledge Frontiers of Political Economy, 105, 127-149.
- Brautzsch, H.-U., Günther, J., Loose, B., Ludwig, U., Nulsch, N. (2015). Can R&D subsidies counteract the economic crisis? – Macroeconomic effects in Germany. Research Policy, 44(3), 623-633.
- Cristian, S., Marius-Corneliu, M., Aura-Gabriela, S., Dorin, M. (2011). The estimation of the public investment multiplier in Romania. Conference on Business and Economics Research (ICBER 2010). Book Series: International Proceedings of Economics Development and Research. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 1, 20-24.
- Domański, B., Gwosdz, K. (2010). Multiplier effects in local and regional development. Quaestiones Geographicae, 29(2), 27-37
- Dupaigne, M., Fève, P. (2016). Persistent government spending and fiscal multipliers: The investment-channel. European Economic Review, 89, 425-453. DOI: 10.1016/j.euroecorev.2016.09.004.
- Kormishkina, L. A., Kormishkin, E. D., Koloskov, D. A. (2016). Multiplier and accelerator effects of investments in the Russian economy (Facts, trends and prospects). Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 9(29), 99443. doi: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i29/99443.
- Lee, R. (2012). Multipliers: A brief note on spending efficiency. Economics Bulletin, 32(3), 2678-2687.
- Ma, WJ. (2011). Research on the macro-adjustment decision-making models of investment based on the regional multiplier theory of investment. International symposium — Economic transition and development of foreign-funded enterprises. Yantai, China, 32-41.
- Moura, G. V. (2015). Multiplicadores fiscais e investimento em infraestrutura. Revista Brasileira de Economia, 69(1), 75-104. doi: 10.5935/0034-7140.20150004
- Ogibayashi, S., Takashima, K. (2017). Influence of Inefficiency in Government Expenditure on the Multiplier of Public Investment. Computational Economics, 1-29. doi: 10.1007/s10614-017-9671-y.
- Ovsiannikova, T., Rabtsevich, O., Yugova, I., & 3rd International Young Researchers Conference on Youth, Science, Solutions: Ideas and Prospects, YSSIP 2016. (2017). Evaluation of multiplier effect of housing investments in the city economy. Aip Conference Proceedings, 1800. doi: 10.1063/1.4973061.
- Quaas, G. (2015). The costs of additional growth – Effects of enhanced governmental investments in the short and in the long run [Der Preis zusätzlichen Wachstums – lang- und kurzfristige Effekte staatlicher Investitionen]. Wirtschaftsdienst, 95(5), 350-358. doi: 10.1007/s10273-015-1831-x.
- Urdiales, E. C., Gallardo, J. L. (2012). Public spending, income tax and private investment in Mexico [Gasto público, impuesto sobre la renta e inversión privada en México]. Investigacion Economica, 71(280), 55-84.
- Zhao, DJ., Gao, XF. (2005). Multiplier effects of sport investment on economic growth. 2nd International Conference on Innovation and Management. Wuhan: China, 136-138.
- Valinurova, L. S., Kazakova, O. B., Sulimova, E. A. (2015). Evaluation of investment attractiveness and prediction of investment volumes to the region. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 6(5S3), 371-379. doi: 10.5901/mjss.2015.v6n5s3p371.