Volume 3, Issue 4
T. Gajić — Novi Sad Business School (Novi Sad, Serbia)
A. Vujko — Novi Sad Business School (Novi Sad, Serbia)
D. Cvijanović — Faculty of Hotel Management and Tourism (Vrnjačka Banja, Serbia)
M. Penić — Fife Class Hotels & Spa, Istrabez Turizem (Portorož, Slovenia)
S. Gagić — University of Business Studies, Faculty of Tourism and Hotel Management (FTH), (Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina)
Serbia is a big chance of Europe for all its natural and resource predispositions. Primarily when it comes to soil quality, climatic conditions, and location. The entire economy of Serbia fell into a stagnation position, after all the turbulent events that hit the region in the late 1990s, and even Serbia itself. The developmental chance of Serbia is certainly primarily agriculture and rural development. With these values, Serbia will become a strong competitor to many countries in the region and Europe. The authors of the paper, using the statistical documentation, pointed to the current state of rural development and agricultural development in the country. The preconditions for a more dynamic restructuring of Serbian agriculture and rural development: active role of the state, as well as high private sector initiatives. However, the following aspects for the development of rural Serbia are of key importance: improving the quality of life of the rural population, a more equal share in the distribution of income and economic opportunities, and their more just social position. Balanced and socially sustainable development of rural areas requires synergy and good coordination of all policies that are in contact with rural areas and their resources. The particular responsibility lies in the agricultural policy, which, through the regulation of structural changes in the sector, should ensure the stability of agricultural production, food industry and forestry as the leading rural economy sectors, thus contributing to the economic development of rural areas and reducing the gap in relation to urban centers.
Keywords: rurality, development, agriculture, economy, transition, Serbia
- Ayres, W.S., McCalla, A.F., (1996). Rural development, agriculture and food security. Financ. Dev. 33, 8-11.
- Emerson, H.J., Gillmor, D.A., (1999). The rural environment protection scheme of the Republic of Ireland. Land Use Policy 16, 235-24.
- Gomez-Limo n, J.A., Atance, I., (2004). Identification of public objectives related to agricultural sector support. J. Policy Model 26, 1045-1071.
- Gajić, T., Vujko, A. (2017): Tourism as a potential factor of economic development — A report from Serbia. The Second International Scientific Conference: Tourism in function of development of the republic of Serbia — Тourism product as a factor of competitiveness of the Serbian economy and experiences of other countries. University of Kragujevac, Faculty of hotel management and tourism in Vrnjačka Banja, Vol 2. pp. 128-144.
- Vujko, A., Gajić, T. (2014): The gouverment policy impact on economic development of tourism. Ekonomika poljoprivrede., 61(3), pp. 789-804.
- Heilig, G.K., (2002). European Rural Development. International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis, Laxenburg. Austria.
- Jonard, F., Lambotte, M., Ramos, F., Terres, J.M., Bamps, C., (2009). Delimitations of Rural Areas in Europe Using Criteria of Population Density, Remoteness and Land Cover. JRC Scientific Report, EUR 23757 EN.
- Kitchen, L., Marsden, T., (2009). Creating sustainable rural development stimulating the eco-economy: beyond the eco-economic paradox? Sociol. Rural. No. 49, 273-294.
- Morgan, S.L., Marsden, T., Miele, M., Morley, A., (2010). Agricultural multifunctionality and farmers’ entrepreneurial skills: a study of Tuscan and Welsh farmers. J. Rural. Stud. 26, 116-129.
- Petrović, M. D., Blešić, I., Ivolga, A., Vujko, A. (2016): Agritourism Impact Toward Locals’ Attitudes – An Evidence from Vojvodina Province (Serbia). Zbornik radova GI „Jovan Cvijić” 66(1), pp. 95-123
- Gajić, T., Vujko, A., Penić, M., Petrović, M. Mrkša, M. (2017): Significant involvement of agricultural holdings in rural tourism development in Serbia. Ekonomika poljoprivrede 64(3), pp. 901-919
- Vujko, A., Petrović, M., Dragosavac, M., Ćurčić, N., Gajić, T. (2017): The linkage between traditional food and loyalty of tourists to the rural Teme, 41(2), pp. 475-487
- Vujko, A., Petrović, M., Dragosavac, M., Gajić, T., (2016): Differences and similarities among rural tourism in Slovenia and Serbia — perceptions of local tourism workers. Ekonomika poljoprivrede, 63(4)/2016, 1459-1469
- Petrović, M., Radovanović, M., Vuković, N., Vujko, A., Vuković, D. (2017): Development of rural territory under the influence of community-based tourism. Ars Administrandi, 9(2), pp. 253–268
- Petrović, M., Blešić, I., Vujko, A., Gajić, T. (2017): The role of agritourism impact on local community in a transitional society: a report from Serbia. Transylvanian Review of Administrative Sciences, 50/2017, 146-163